Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Goodbye Salt Lake, hello Virginia. Goodbye Virginia, hello Tennessee

Wow, what a crazy couple of weeks. In the last two weeks we have moved not once, but twice.

Two weeks ago, we said goodbye to the Brigadoon and left for our road trip across the country to Virginia. Peter was planning on attending William and Mary law school and we were moving out to get settled before school started. We loaded up our furniture and stuff on to a big semi that we had rented space on (it was the cheapest way to do it) and shipped my car so that I could sit by Laura in the back seat to feed her bottles, hold her pacifier and keep her from screaming on the 33 hour drive. She actually did amazingly well. She slept most of the time and was much better than I would have been had I been strapped in the sweaty, milk and spit up soaked, smelly car seat for 2.5 days. We arrived in Virginia Sunday night and moved in to our apartment and signed our 1 year lease Monday morning. Then we spent the next 2 days going to Target, Wal-Mart, and Bed, Bath and Beyond buying all the things we left behind. Tuesday, the day our furniture arrived in the semi, Peter received a phone call from Vanderbilt law school asking if he was still interested. He had been put on the waiting list last January and we haven't heard from them since. Both he and I had pretty much given up on that and felt confident that we wouldn't be hearing from them again. Peter, thinking he didn't have anything to lose, told them he was still interested. The next day, Thursday, they called to tell him he was accepted. We debated as to what we should do. Vanderbilt is a better school, but is also more expensive. And we had just spent almost 2 grand moving out to Virginia! By Thursday, we had decided to move yet again. So by Friday night, we had packed up all our cars, loaded up a semi with our stuff again, and were driving through the night to get to Nashville by Saturday morning. We arrived in Nashville with our cars jammed full of all the stuff we had bought in Virginia and I felt like a homeless family living out of our car. To make things even more exciting, it was like 500 degrees plus 110 percent humidiy in Nashville that day. Laura was getting so hot and sweaty as we drove around looking at apartments I was afraid she was going to suffer from heat stroke if we didn't find some place to cool her down. But we didn't have a house to go home to. So we went to a grocery store and hung out for a couple of hours, taking advantage of their AC while we waited for our next house appointment. Luckily the next appointment was a little, cute house with a landlord nice enough to let us sign the lease and move in that day.

Yesterday, our furniture finally arrived for the second time, and for the first time in a couple of weeks, I have a bed to sleep on. You don't realize how great it is to have a bed, until you don't have one. I kept reminding myself that my Grandpa Fielding spent 3 months sleeping on a buffalo rug while he drove a covered wagon across the plains on the Mormon Trail reenactment. And he was over 65 years old. I figured if he could sleep on the floor for 3 months, I could handle it for a couple of weeks. But I've decided I am not as tough as Grandpa and hope to never have to sleep on the floor again.

It feels so good to have a bed and a home again. I hope Peter gets a job in Nashville after he graduates from law school because I never want to move again.

5 comments:

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

What an adventure! I hate moving, too and for your sake hope you don't have to move for a long time. I hope the best for you in getting settled in Nashville.

Ali said...

ok, your moving week was worse than mine. either way, i'm glad i'm not moving again for awhile! good luck in school....post more pics of cute Laura - I want to see what she looks like these days!

Tiffany said...

Wow, you are one tough mom!!! I am so proud of you. I can't imagine going through that. Laura sounds like a read trooper. I have never been to Nashville and would love to see it. You being there is a great reason to put it on my list of places to see. I miss you girl! Good luck with your new adventure.

Liz said...

I'm so happy things worked out just as you guys wanted.

Tania Gisele Flores said...

Que loca tu mudanza che gringa pora!!! Gracias a Dios todo salio bien y Peter puede estudiar donde desea. No te preocupes que él conseguira pronto un buen trabajo. Que bueno que Laura pudo estar bien a pesar de tanto viaje. Te acordas cuando ese viejo de Kokuere entraba a nuestra pension y por eso tuvimos que mudarnos? Que lindos recuerdos tengo con vos amiga!!
Rohayhu terei